Hot Tub Warranties
If you've been following our checkpoints, then you've investigated nearly every aspect of the hot tub or spa you're about to buy, and can easily identify the best hot tub to purchase. Have you considered the warranty? This is an often over-looked but critically important element in a hot tub purchase. After all, a hot tub is a major investment. You should make certain that your investment is well protected during its lifetime.
Hot tub warranties often look the same. You'll generally find the following categories in each warranty:
- Shell or Vessel Warranty - protects against structural damage or cracks that cause water loss.
- Exterior Shell Surface Warranty - protects the shell surface against blistering, peeling, cracking, fading, or delaminating.
- Plumbing Warranty - protects against leaks in plumbing components.
- Equipment Warranty - protects the equipment and controls in the spa.
As we said, most hot tub warranties will include the categories listed above. But further inspections should be made - be sure to read the fine print. Many warranties have a list of excluded parts or components. Additionally, many warranties are prorated. This means that components are protected for the full warranty term, but as the years progress, you pay more for repairs. For instance, plumbing components may be fully covered for the first year. But during the second year, you may pay a portion of labor and parts. The third year, your portion may be even higher. Some warranties have a deductible that applies to service after the first year. This will add to the operational costs. Also remember that a warranty is only as good as the company's ability to stand behind it.
- Does the spa have a comprehensive warranty that covers all structural areas and components? Does the warranty extend for an acceptable period of time?
- Does the warranty have particular exclusions? Is it pro-rated? Will you be fully covered by the warranty as time progresses? Is there a deductible?
- Is the hot tub manufacturer that built the spa financially sound? Can they stand behind their warranty? Does the local dealer have a service relationship with the factory? Will the dealer stand behind your spa and provide technical support for repairs?